A couple of life hacks that have helped me manage lousy moods

I thought I'd write down a couple of things I discovered on my own, over the course of last 3-4 years.
  1. Drink plenty of water. You know what it's like when a bad mood starts -- a negative "spark" thought spirals completely out of control, like a lit match in a pool of gasoline. What I've discovered is that drinking "recommended" amounts of water helps me stop that fire from spreading. It doesn't prevent those negative thoughts, but it does make me less inclined to follow them to some extreme end. Drinking water in a disciplined fashion sounds somewhat nutty, I've got to admit, but it doesn't bother me. It's a small activity that provides a big benefit. I've been at it for about a year, and it definitely doesn't annoy me. That said - it might annoy you, so take this whole thing with a grain of salt :)
  2. Experiment with food. I found out that food high in sugar makes my lousy moods much more extreme. Sweets of any kind are pretty bad (cookies, pop, candy), but cake is the worst. I feel good after I eat cake, while I'm on a sugar high. But when that subsides ... boy, it gets pretty awful. A negative "spark" thought about 30 minutes after eating cake completely spirals into a monstrosity of negativity. For that reason, I now avoid food high in sugar. Over the past 2-3 years, I've subconsciously cut out sugar from my diet. It's now to a point that I don't eat any. Like with #1 - not consuming sugar doesn't annoy me. That might be different for you :)
  3. Try to lose yourself in an activity. It seems to work best though when I'm "making" something, because there's a clear goal in mind. I reckon my mind just doesn't have enough resources to focus on, for example, building an awesome wooden airplane and also to self-criticize me or list my mistakes. I have experienced a complete focus on the task at hand during wholly dissimilar activities: wood working, playing video games, computer programming, writing, and running.
That's all my life hacks. I'm writing them down in the hope that they might help you out. Don't worry about trying out any of these right now - it's worth reading them, so that they're in the back of your mind, and when (sorry to be crude) shit goes real south, I hope hacks like this help you out and make life liveable. 

Related

Life Advice 4632046271744766135
item